I learned a couple of things when the driver's ed instructor yelled at me as a teen. One such item: even if you are looking and see other drivers, make eye contact so everyone knows that they're seeing each other and to better understand what someone might do.
| These aren't my eyes. |
To that end, I wish I could say this to the young guy in his grey, muffler-challenged car this morning:
Thank you, sincerely, for not being a jerk when pulling up next to me to tell me what you were doing when you were at the stop sign and looking at your lap, and I loudly suggested you should have your eyes on me. I couldn't hear your explanation of what you were doing. Perhaps you were even waiting for me to pass by, for which I thank you. From my perspective, it looked like you'd stopped in the crosswalk and were looking to make a move to gun it when making your turn, but I couldn't get a sense of your intent because you were looking at your lap. Perhaps you were looking at your hands, your phone, a map, a note from a loved one, but I really would have preferred that you made eye contact with me. I'm sorry that the circumstances didn't allow us to have a real conversation, and I'm sorry that there's pretty much no chance you'll see this message.
http://main.nationalmssociety.
No comments:
Post a Comment