Brussels was the last city we explored as part of our 2016 European adventure. I liked it a lot more than I expected. On second thought, I didn't know what to expect. While I still prefer the more Dutch-influenced part of Belgium, there is something rather cosmopolitan about the French-influenced part of Belgium. Perhaps it is because Brussels is the headquarters of the EU.
In any event, I have some decent photos to share.
We stayed in a lovely apartment in a cute neighborhood close to the train station, the Grand Place (town square where the city hall is located), and the oddly famous (and sometimes dressed) Manneken-Pis statue.
![]() |
| View from our living room. My dad spent a lot of time watching the comings and goings. |
![]() |
| Self-explanatory, eh? |
We weren't far from the royal palace, which faces the main park in Brussels. Dan and I liked the palace, but thought that the park wasn't photo-worthy.
We met my parents for lunch in the Saint Catherine's neighborhood where we saw a fountain with cool animal-themed fountains within it, and then a very ornate iron train sculpture thing.
![]() |
| Mussels in Brussels. Not as good as the ones I had in Bruges, but c'mon, mussels in Brussels. |
![]() |
| Zoom in to see the animals. |
Dan and I went on a very fabulous chocolate and beer tour of Brussels, led by the very knowledgeable and witty Marie. There are a lot of adjectives in that sentence for good reason. It was the highlight of visiting Brussels, in my mind. If you go to Brussels, you must do this tour. I have a lot of photos of the various chocolate shops and little pubs we visited, as well as nearly every type of beer that Dan drank there and throughout our trip. I am happy to share the link to my photo album, if you want to see them.
![]() |
| I liked this chocolatier the best, and went back the next day to buy gifts. |
![]() |
| After consuming high alcohol beers elsewhere, we were happy to eat some bread, cheese, and salami with the beer we got at this deli/store/bar. |
![]() |
| Like Bruges and Ghent, there were little alleyways in Brussels... with bars. |
The next day, while Dan and I lounged, my parents went to the Atomium, from the 1958 Worlds' Fair. There are crazy steep escalators connecting those little spheres.

![]() |
| Purported view from the Atomium |
Part of our lounging consisted making a repeat trip to Toone, one of the bars we visited on our tour. It is a weird little place where they also do puppet shows. With marionettes, not hand puppets. The old marionettes can be found throughout the bar.
The next day we took a train back to Amsterdam, where my Dad proceeded to eat a lunch of leftover salami and crackers, stinking up the train and getting cracker crumbs everywhere. He was cracking me up. He's such a good sport.
We spent the night at a hotel in Amsterdam - the only hotel of the trip and the place where I suspect the fraud on our credit card began. Other than that, it was a lovely hotel and the food we had for dinner was rather good. Plus, they had good instant cocoa and nice bathtubs in the guest rooms.
![]() |
| Reflecting on another international trip gone well. |















No comments:
Post a Comment