Warning: This is an even-less-edited-than-normal and more-stream-of-consciousness-than-normal post.
I'm supposed to be working on a project with a deadline this weekend, but have been thinking about Alex Pretti being killed yesterday and other current events, and that paper is not getting edited.
This morning I was making two kinds of soup and thinking that the most charitable view of Alex being shot by federal agents might be that the agents are super trigger-happy Keystone Cops and, assuming the one that said "gun," isn't also the same one who shot Alex (I can't bear to watch the most detailed video I've seen any more times to check), maybe the first shooter misunderstood the statement and thought that there was a warning that he was brandishing a gun versus that a gun was in the agent's hand.
Then I was wondering why I'm trying to think about this charitably. If there was a mistake, admit it. At a minimum, acknowledge that this is a tragedy and state that you're committed to a full and objective investigation. Don't give guns to Keystone Cops. Don't flex your goonish muscle in every interaction. The administration immediately came out with a narrative and has doubled down on it, time and time again, even though it totally conflicts with the videos. Miller, Noem, and the rest think that if you repeat a lie enough times it will become the truth. Sadly, people may believe them, and not look to other sources for information.
I think I maybe was trying to consider the most charitable interpretation because I want to believe that people are honest, that people want to help other people, that people don't want to kill people. But this administration is lethal mix of people who are outright greedy, outright evil white supremacists, opportunistic power mongers, and/or egotistical/vain people. Time and time again over the past year, they've shown that they aren't honest, that they don't want to help other people, and they don't care if people die.
Of course not everyone is that way, just the people running the show. My neighbors here in Minneapolis are demonstrating the most amazing compassion for the broader community, care for each other, and outright love. If nothing else, the local folks (and my friends from afar, asking how they can help provide support) make me optimistic about humanity at the same time I feel such despair about the country. I gave the soup to one such neighbor, and it was a gift that - I was told - was massively appreciated. I got one of the best hugs ever in return, and it also felt great to do something for someone else.
There's a lot that we all need to be doing right now (calling lawmakers, helping people who are directly impacted, etc.), but one thing that everyone can do, regardless of their work schedule, kid obligations, and skill set is to do some small act of kindness for another person - even if it is just making a phone call, sending a postcard, making some cookies, or holding a door open.
No comments:
Post a Comment