Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Getting my bearings - literally

Nah, I'm not talking about ball bearings. 


Today, given my neck tenderness after yesterday's slo-mo comical crash and the fact that I had 31 miles to ride before the end of the week to meet my goal, I did a short ride (14 miles; told you it was short!) on a gravel/sand road on my fat bike. I found the "bearing tree." I'm a little concerned as it appears to slowly be dying and falling apart.

I guess the USFS/USGS decided at some point
that a tree would be easier to find than a metal
disc on the ground.

I wonder what will be used for getting one bearings
after the tree falls down in a storm.

I should actually ride the circuit of trails
in this wilderness area. The deer flies
are very aggressive, however!


After my short ride, I was able to convince my Mom to go in the canoe with me and we had a nice paddle around the lake. I then read/took a nap in a hammock, ate dinner, and went for a short walk to the boat landing, during which I saw- - what - - at least 7? deer (and no bears, today).


Lil' cutie


After my walk, I continued to listen to my audiobook while eating cookies and settling in on the dock in the setting sun. The light was so pretty on the lake and the shore. I fell asleep. I'd say today was a success! And tomorrow my neck will be better and I can finish the last bit of riding I need to do to meet my July BikeMS goal before I head home on the 31st.

From top left: A heron, two docks down; Me, sporting my
💙Wilco shirt from our trip to Mexico in January
before COVID made everything insane; The only IPAs I like
are hazy IPAs and, while Bell's is decent, my husb's home brew
is better; The shoreline behind me.


Thanks for all of your support with my riding this week, this month, this year! I'm in the home stretch and think I'll wrap this puppy up tomorrow! Woo!

https://mssociety.donordrive.com/participant/GoMaggieGo


2 comments:

  1. What the heck? I had a YouTube clip from Fletch at the top of the blog post, but it didn't publish, dang it!!

    ReplyDelete