Thursday, July 30, 2020

Ta-da! Duh-dada-dah!

In mid-July, I haphazardly said that since I would be in Wisconsin this week, visiting my Mom and Terry, I'd set a goal of riding at least 600 miles this month and do at least five 60-mile rides. I also promised some good stories and more photos. I didn't actually calculate the feasibility and it required a lot of riding since mid-July, but I managed to pull it off! 

I typed those sentences from the deck overlooking the lake, watching a recently-pregnant black squirrel assess the bird feeder situation and a baby woodpecker learn about gravity, feeling a different sense of accomplishment than in other years. 

I typed that while Terry made me a special treat of a dinner - Wisconsin-style fish fry. (I love a good fish fry! And walleye to boot. Mhm.)

I rode 614 miles this month. About 2/3 of that was done in the last two weeks, and 1/3 of that was done these past five days in the Northwoods. 

Where I've been all week.

While it wasn't my normal 300-mile trek that I do this week every year, I had to get creative with my routes, and 45 of the 200 miles were done on a fat bike. (Contrary to my proposal from the other day, I didn't double-count my fat bike miles. I feel so virtuous! Bow before me, please.) 

Today wasn't necessarily creative, but I rode to Phelps - - a place I've never ridden to this indirectly and via 100% pavement. (You can get there by going through the part of the map without visible roads - they're sand and gravel.) And most my riding in that area has been on a fun trail at a resort just north of Phelps, in the snow.

Considering how much lake area there
was on this route, I actually didn't
see much water.

But the water I saw was very pretty!

I found a sheltered area for what they annoyingly
call at meetings a "bio break." Why isn't it just a break?

I need a stone entryway to our driveway so that I can
stick a squirrel on it. It probably wouldn't look as good
in our Mpls alley, I suppose.


After dinner, I went for a walk and found some wild blueberries (now in my belly), saw a few deer, and watched three foxes hanging out by what appears to be a den on the edge of where my parents' and two neighbors' property lines meet. Thankfully, I saw no bears, although I was keeping an eye out when I was eating those berries! I sat on the dock and finished my audiobook, and then broke into the ice cream. Today's caloric input exceeded the output, I believe, but it was a good day to celebrate. 

I still need about $379 ("about" that - ha! It is kind of a firm number, no?) to meet my goal for the year, and will keep on trying. It isn't the best year for fundraising and my goal is modest compared to years past, but I am extra grateful for donations this year, due to the circumstances. Thank you for helping me support the MS Society! 

I will drive back home tomorrow. I'm looking forward to aspects of being home, but am a little nervous about how my neck will feel for the drive. It still hurts from when I fell off my bike and hit my head two days ago. Thankfully, all I have to "show" for that slo-mo comical crash are two bruises on my knee. I also am feeling some slight anticipatory melancholy: I'm not sure when I'll be able to see my Mom and Terry again. Hopefully we can all keep on staying safely isolated in our little environments (I got a COVID test before coming here, just to be safe) and I can visit again in the fall.

Once I get back home it will be a challenge to keep on discovering new things by bike. I just will need to remember that a day of biking is always a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment