Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Proud Captain Reflections

As I sit here with my gauche (not to be confused with gaucho, which would be totally different) bedtime dinner of chips, salsa, and Belgian dubbel beer, grateful for the fact that I wore leggings under my pants to work today, so I just had to strip off a layer of clothing to "change into" my pajamas when I got home from work at 9:30, I'm reflecting on my day.

Sure, it would've been nice to bike to work today, but the wind was fierce and it was late when I drove home. Sure, I would've liked to started shopping for a new bike(!), but I probably don't have enough money squirreled away yet.

In the end it was a productive night.

I spent the evening prepping for the performance reviews for the 9 attorneys who work on my team (and am grateful that #10 doesn't start until Monday). I decided that I really like reading their self-evaluations, seeing what was noteworthy in their minds, what they are proud of, what they want to achieve.

I decided that's also the fun part about being captain of our BikeMS team: watching the training, hearing people talk at the overnight stop about how it is going, seeing them cross the finish line, so proud, so tired, so grateful, so huggy.

We have a lot of new riders this year. I have more questions about logistics and things like that, but I love the fact that I get to see most of my teammates (I am not the fastest, but I finish earlier than most) cross the finish line. Seeing these new folks at the finish, as they realize what they accomplished, makes the work worth the effort.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/MS150Maggie2017

(p.s. This week is MS Awareness Week. Please feel free to share my fundraising link and blog with others.)



No comments:

Post a Comment