Saturday, November 5, 2016

Contentment

I have been needing some time in the woods, so I made plans to visit the half of my parents who, several years ago, tore down their old rustic cabin and built a new lake home. The cabin always was a place of comfort, and is even more so now that there's insulation and reliable heat.

This truly is my favorite place. The natural beauty is, well, beautiful, regardless of season. The light, the sounds, the smells always amaze me. And like when I used to visit my Grandma G., my brain knows this is a place to shut up. I actually sleep, even if there are noises.

Piper and I walked down by our lake yesterday, checking out the many bald eagles and exploring the new rock dock built, in large part, by my sister-in-law in August. I later went out with my parents for an authentic Wisconsin fish fry (perch, yum), and then walked in the dark - until I got freaked out about bears - to check out the stars.

This morning, when it was 34 degrees, my mom, our family friend Beth, and Piper and I went for a walk to the other side of a small river where we used to play as kids on an old earthen dam. I took a bonus selfie of me looking like Cyrus, the villain from a book I had as a kid.

After eating leftover perch for lunch, I took Piper for a walk on my favorite trail. I didn't take my phone for photos because I knew it would be beautiful and that I needed to enjoy it and absorb it in real life, not through a lens.

I have been thinking of all the great biking I could be doing here this weekend, but am glad to enjoy the scenery by foot, with my trusty canine companion. I'm looking forward to squeezing in some more of it before heading home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment